Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pumpkin Patch!

What a truly fun and chaotic first field trip Big Boy had to the pumpkin patch! I took an early lunch so that I could tag along and of course I took a ton of pictures. I must say that the 6 or so other parents and his teachers all agreed that after the jaunt through the pumpkin patch with 22 three year olds, we all deserved a nap!

The trip started out with a lesson on what a pumpkin is and how it grows.

Then there was a ride on the tractor all around the orchards and corn field.

The tractor ride stopped back near the animals so a walk to look at cows, donkeys, chickens, rabbits and sheep was in order.

Then it was time to discuss how to pick a pumpkin - no picking green ones and try to find one that fits you - that is one that is small enough you can carry it!



After pumpkin picking it was a group picture and then waiting for the school vans to pick the kids up. The kids had all decorated pumpkin shirts late last week to wear today. It worked wonderfully to have all the kids in the same type of shirt in order to recognize who belonged to the Dermers group especially because there were a bunch of other school groups there. What I especially liked was that the daycare also had stickers with their phone numbers and the kids names on the back of each child in the event that a child strayed away or got lost. Great idea, plus it helped me in herding the kids so that I could call them by name.

It was so fun to watch Big Boy interact with his friends, especially calling some by name. One of his closer friends, Jackson F. has a love for Thomas that rivals Big Boy is called JJ F by Big Boy. Here is a picture of Big Boy waiting in line to go in to the Pumpkin Patch and one of Big Boy and JJ F washing their hands.

I was a bit worried that Big Boy would have a problem not leaving with me, but I was pleasantly surprised that he hopped into the van, let me buckle him and then waved, said, "Bye Mama, have a good day!" and that was that. What a Big Boy he has become!

No comments: