Saturday, August 25, 2007

Frazzled Awakenings

Children.....sometimes as much as you love them, they can drive you NUTS!!! While attempting to do my online assignments that were due last night, neither Big Boy nor Boopy wanted to be cooperative. Why I even considered that a 15 month old can sit nicely, quietly and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and leave me alone to my thoughts and ponderings on Kate Chopin's "Awakening" is beyond me. Between the numerous "No, Boopy! Stop Boopy! Close the drawer, Boopy!, I nearly lost my mind. Perhaps I needed to look more closely to "Awakening" and awaken myself to my reality. Two small VERY ACTIVE kids, a messy bedroom, children's television shows and clearly educated thought provoking discussion questions do not mix.

Amazingly though, after many interruptions, deep breathes to calm the soul, and finally getting Boopy down for a nap, I did manage to complete my day late assignments. As refreshing and rewarding as this was, the reward of staring at a peaceful sleeping Boopy and feeling my heart swell with love was even better. Equally as rewarding was my turning from the computer screen to see Big Boy picking up all of his toys that had been spread all over my bedroom without having to be asked! What a great reward to realize that even with the frazzled, constant No's and battles for a few solitude moments, Big Boy is a good kid and we've done something right so far in his upbringing.

One problem is that after such great rewards, I'm sure a new day will bring the thought that "sure I can work on schoolwork while they play, no problem" and we'll go through the same painful process all over again. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment.

No comments: