Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Escape Artist

I've just had my very first "BAD" mommy experience of 2008. I say first not because I intend on many more, just that I am far from perfect and I'm sure whether I intend it or not, I'm bound to screw up at least once more.

As of New Year's Eve, Boopy has become an escape artist and has mastered the art of climbing out of her crib. Last night she was up until 10:30, well after Papa came home from working at both the base and Circuit City! After two attempts of putting her to bed she obviously wasn't going to stay so I figured I'd let her tire herself out downstairs with me. Well tonight, I thought I would outsmart Boopy. I figured I'd tire her out before trying to put her to bed. I let both her and Big Boy stay up later than usual, getting Big Boy to bed a little after 9:00 and keeping Boopy up until almost 9:30. She seemed tired enough so I told her goodnight and went downstairs hoping for the best. Unlike other recent nights, I put the gate up in the hallway so that neither kid could come downstairs. We usually put it up every night when we go to bed but not beforehand. Anyhow, shortly after being downstairs I started loading the dishwasher when I heard Boopy crying, then screaming madly. Instead of rushing upstairs, I figured I'd make her wait a moment as I assumed that she was out of the crib standing at the gate and was mad that she couldn't come downstairs. I loaded a few more things in the dishwasher and then went upstairs expecting a screaming child at the gate. But when I got to the gate Boopy wasn't there. I went to her crib and oh my! There was Boopy hanging upside down over the side of the corner of the crib with her leg and foot stuck in the rails. Thankfully she's perfectly fine, no bruises other than her ego. Knowing that I made her wait a few moments is what makes me feel horrible, poor little Boopy. Needless to say she feel asleep pretty quickly snuggled in my arms in the rocker chair. And yes, no need to worry, the side of her crib will be off SOON and made into a toddler bed, so that there will be no repeats of this experience. Although, I have to wonder if this drama may have cured her desire to climb out at least for a while. And does it make me even worse a mother that I had the fleeting thought that I should have taken a picture?

No comments: