Thursday, October 23, 2008

Big Boy Speech Update

Most of you know that we been working with the school district's speech preschool program for Big Boy. While it will be a long ongoing process to get his speech up to par, we've discovered through a bit of guidance that it really is practice that makes perfect. Big Boy has no problem with understanding words or mostly saying them. It's getting the connection between all the words that's an issue. Basically he leaves a lot of words out in a sentence. Instead of saying "The truck is carrying the car", he says, "Truck carry car". What has been pointed out to us is to correct him and prompt him to say the full sentence. Both Papa and I have been doing that often. We start him out with the first part of the sentence, continue in small sections and then have him do his best to put it on together, making sure not to leave out words like, the, is, on, am, etc. He's doing really well and with a bit or praise he generally seems proud of himself when he gets it right.
What really pleases me and makes my heart melt for my sweet, gentle boy is what I heard this morning when I woke up. Big boy was already awake and had come into our room where he was sitting on the bedroom floor with a couple of his favorite books and cars. He was talking with himself and his toys. He has a great imagination and will often talk to his cars, giving them directions. This morning he was talking about the his flatbed truck carrying the race car. As usual, he first said, "truck carry car". But then, I heard him correct himself and work on the full sentence, "the truck" then "the truck carrying the car". While I know his sentence wasn't perfect and he forgot the "is", I am so proud of him for his progress, his willingness to try and his perseverance. He truly is my bright, sweet boy.

1 comment:

Dawn T said...

awwe, very sweet. Missed you at MOMS Cafe tonight.